Thursday, January 25, 2007

A day late and a dollar short

Ashley informed us that the 23rd was National Pie Day. January strikes me as an odd time to have National Pie Day - I always think of pies as a summer thing, when all the fruit is around. I guess apples are still sort of in season, but apples are always available. Anyway I wanted to make some pies too! But I didn't get around to it until last night.
tomato-basil-spinach pizza
This one is half margherita, half tomato-sauce-olive-spinach-mozz.

I don't think this is exactly the kind of pie The American Pie Council had in mind. In fact, I'd be willing to bet there is a separate American Pizza Pie Council.

pizza di patate
This one is potatoes, onions, and rosemary. I was trying to recreate one of my favorite snacks from when I lived in Rome - pizza rustica alle patate. Italian pizza is justifiably famous, and I'm sure most foodies even know the difference between typical Roman pizza (really thin, almost crackery crust) and Napoletan pizza (thicker and chewier). But there is another kind of traditional Roman pizza, pizza rustica or pizza a taglio, made in giant rectangular sheets and sold in little take away type shops in slices. You ask for it by weight, which I always thought was hilarious - "I'll have 150g of cheese pizza, please". My favorite was just a totally simple crust with delicious super thin slices of potatoes on it. But I think the traditional version must be made with buckets of olive oil - mine was good but nowhere near the potatoey ecstacy I remember.

Not much knitting has been happening around here. Yes, the thesis is partly to blame, but this new addition to our household has played no small part itself:
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

It's so little and cute! You could almost put it in your pocket!

No comments: